7.10.2009

PATRIOTIC WEEKEND

Oh, how I LOVE the 4th of July! I have lived in DC for four years and have spent every 4th of July, except one, with my friend, Jennah. We made plans for Jennah to drive down from Connecticut and spent the weekend out and about in the District and Virginia.

One of the best things about being in DC for the 4th is...there is plenty to do. On Thursday, July 3rd, we went downtown to watch the dress rehearsal for, A Capitol 4th. A Capitol 4th, is a program that takes place the evening of July 4th at the steps of our Nation's Capitol. It was a great show with performances from Barry Manilow, Aretha Franklin, the cast of Jersey Boys, Natasha Bedingfield, the National Symphony Orchestra and Sesame Street! And since we were watching the dress rehersal, the crowd was relatively small. We had such a fun time! I love DC! It's a big city, but in many ways, still feels so small. You run into friends, former colleagues and neighbors, wherever you go!

Yes, Arianne and I realize this looks like a cheesy engagement photo.

Silly Jennah Renae and Millie Mae.

Sitting on the Capitol steps, waiting for the concert to begin.

The Capitol with Old Glory.

Rockin' out to Barry.

The evening of July 4th, Jennah, Chareese and I had an early dinner and headed to the Air Force Memorial to watch fireworks with friends. Below is our first roommate photo! Jennah moves in, in August! Yay!

On the phone with friends, coordinating our meeting spot. I got tired and needed to sit down.

The Air Force band was playing at the base of the Memorial. Loved it!!! Talk about setting a patriotic mood!

Waiting for the fireworks to start. There was such a great crowd. (i.e. everyone from my ward.) I even ran into Kerri Baird Johnson and her family. I have kown Kerri since I was four years old and have fond memories of playing at her house. It was so fun to see her! I'm only sad that we didn't get any pictures!

Great show! Time to head home.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AMERICA!

6 comments:

Brittany said...

Ooh fun! This was my first 4th of July NOT in D.C. in 5 years. Crazy! I'm glad you had fun!

The Skeehan Family said...

what a fun fun time! I love the 4th and what better place to spend it but the capitol. How exciting! :)

Jennah said...

I love us!!

ivyk said...

MILLIEEEEEEE!!!!!
I'm totally sorry I missed you... if this wasn't a blog post i'd tell you why but i'm guessing you can figure:) I biked by your place though!!!

ivyk said...

Uh PS Millie - where's the latest on you?

Brittny said...

you girls are so fun! looks like a great place to be on the 4th!