I have been thinking of moving out West after I wrap things up in DC. Arizona has been on my list of possible new homes for a while, so I took off and spent the weekend in Phoenix to get a feel for the place. I had an interview on Monday and spent Saturday and Sunday exploring the city. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised! Arizona is fantastic! Who’d a thought, I’d like the desert! It is a beautiful place!
A few highlights…
People Watching: I love to people watch…especially in airports. There is always something to see. I flew on Southwest, which is already pure entertainment in itself. However, the most memorable moment was on my layover in Missouri when I overhead a man say, “My wife really wants me to take her to I-Hop when I get in tonight.” Sign me up for that!!
Haunted House: I haven’t been to a haunted house in over six years. And, after Saturday night, I remember why. We were probably the oldest people there and the little seventh grade girls were braver than me. If you know me well, you know I'm a pretty jumpy person who startles easily. (Those of you who remember the Knots Scary Farm incident from my sophomore year of high school, know exactly what I’m talking about.) Just imagine me going through not one, but, four haunted houses!!! It was bad; I thought I was going to break my protector’s hands because I was holding onto him so tightly.
Cunningham Sunday Family Dinner: Lots of laughter. Think I even cried at one point from laughing so hard. Reminded me of Segura Family laughing fits and made me a little homesick.
Taliesin West: I love Frank Lloyd Wright architecture and visiting this house was great! It was Wright’s home for 20 years and it was really interesting to see how the famous architect lived!
Laying Out: It is October and I was laying out by the pool! No explanation needed. I love Arizona!
Arizona Singles Ward: I felt old! After Relief Society a girl came up to me and said, “Millie, you were my EFY counselor in San Diego!! I teach 4th grade, now!” Sheesh!
Barrios: If you’re from Arizona, you definitely know why this restaurant would be among my trip highlights. Yum!
Visiting with Mimi & Baby Claire: I met Mimi at BYU and haven’t seen her in at least five years. Neither of us can remember when or how we met. We just know we’re glad we did meet. Mimi and her husband live in Phoenix with their darling one year old daughter, Claire. When I knew I would be in Arizona, Mimi was one of the first people I called. I had to see her while I was in town. We had a great visit and I loved catching up with an old friend. Mimi is a fabulous person and little Claire was just too cute!
Being clumsy me: On my return flight, I was stuck in the middle seat, between two men, who promptly fell asleep right after take off. No problem, right? I just sat quietly, reading my book and magazines. The flight attendant came by and asked me what I wanted to drink with my lil’ in-flight snack. I asked for water. (Shocking that I didn’t get a Diet Coke, I know.) She returned with my water as well as some snacks for my sleeping neighbors and me. Everything was great…for about ten minutes. I was snacking on my crackers, sipping my water, reading Vogue, and then it happened. I spilled my very cold ice water all over the SLEEPING man next to me! Yikes! He obviously woke up with quite a start. I apologized over and over and quickly called the flight attendant to bring towels so we could dry ourselves off. Well, all this commotion inadvertently woke up my other sleeping neighbor. I turned from the water soaked man to begin apologizing to the other guy for having woken him up. They were both sweet about it, and the wet one even chuckled a bit. I then remembered that the flight attendant had given me their snacks, which I had tucked away in the seat pocket in front of me. So, as a little “peace offering” I pulled the snacks out and said, “Well, now that you’re awake you can have your snacks!” We all laughed, exchanged phone numbers and emails and are now great friends. Okay, not really. But, the three of us did have a good laugh.
I had a fantastic Arizona visit. I stayed with wonderful friends who made me feel incredibly welcome and at home. Was able to reunite with old BYU & DC friends and meet and make new ones! It was a great little vacation. Arizona or bust! Maybe, we’ll see.
10.14.2008
Arizona or bust!
Posted by Millicent at 10/14/2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Hi Millie-
I found your blog on Brittney Paul's. I hope you don't feel like I am stalking you. I read your post about Arizona. We just moved to Chandler (a suburb of Phoenix). We love it. Summer was brutal but we are getting used to it! Let us know if you choose AZ!
Mel
I love Arizona. Hope the job turns out for you! And I'm dying over your plane ride story. I'm glad they were cool about it!
Millie, you are so cool! I don't want you to move across the country though because then I would never get to see you at random parties! Sad! I love that you made the peace offering with the guys on the plane!
Millie, I hope Arizona is your next destination! You'll be a lot closer to us than D.C.!!!
Sounds like you had a fun trip, we need to talk and I want details :)
Love, Missy
Fun, Millie!! I just love your stories, you totally crack me up. I could totally picture you on that plane ride-you're so funny!! So since Steve totally dogged on me about visiting DC, if you live in Arizona, I can come visit you without him ruining my plans!! woo hoo!!
Things are always exciting with you! We need to get ahold of eachother! I haven't talked to you in forever and you still need to tell me that long story about you know who. So, what day and time should I call you?
sounds like an eventful vacation! Arizona would be great especially since it is close to UTah and Cali. Good Luck on the decision!
I am really sorry I slept through your visit with my mommy. I really wanted to meet you and I yelled at my mom for not waking me up to meet you. Thank you for Mrs. Beasley, I LOVE her. I snuggle and hold her allll the time. I hope you move here so we can play!
--Baby Claire
Millie! It's Kacee from Snow, Christensen! What's up sweetie! I know I found you on facebook but I didn't know you had a blog. Send me your email address and I will add you to my blog! Good to hear all about your exciting life!! Let me know if you are ever back in Utah, I would love to see you! kaceep@gmail.com
Hey Millie! AZ is awesome!! You should move her we love it!! I am a blog stalker as well (:
Post a Comment