6.17.2009

DUCK BEACH

If you are LDS, single, and live on the East coast, Memorial Day weekend is a big time of year! Going to Duck Beach in the Outer Banks of North Carolina has become a yearly tradition for many people. For more details of this extravaganza, read this article in The Washington Times or this commentary from a friend. Both will give you a better understanding of all that is Duck Beach.

I have spent a Memorial Day weekend at Duck, and decided to skip the "main" activities this year. Instead, I drove to the Outer Banks, early Monday morning, in hopes to avoid all the riff raf, er, I mean crowds. No, really...all I wanted was a few relaxing days at the beach. North Carolina is beautiful! I always enjoy the drive.
Here I am with my beach buddies T. Liu, Steph and Joni. We had such a nice day sitting on the beach. We talked, read, listened to music and went on walks. However, the highlight was when I met two guys from Pittsburgh, PA. My little brother is serving an LDS mission in Pittsburgh, so I had to ask if they knew Elder Segura. They did! They play basketball with him each week!!! Yes, the world is, indeed, that small.
The weather turned cold and rainy, so Steph and I decided to head back to Virginia Wednesday morning. First stop on our little road trip? Sonic! We could have made our own commercial!I have always wanted to visit Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown. We drive right by these settlements on the drive from NC to VA. Steph has already been to the historic triangle, but agreed to stop for a quick visit. We wandered around, had lunch and were asked twice if we were sisters!I had the BEST turkey sandwich at The Cheese Shop, downtown Williamsburg. Honestly, it was amazing!! Be sure to stop here for lunch if you're ever in the area! Oh, and if you order a turkey sandwich, ask for the house dressing. Yum! (Okay, enough about my lunch.)

3 comments:

Brittany said...

You failed to mention what happened on your drive home. Although I'm sure you're trying to forget about that! :)

Oh, and I also LOVE the Cheese Shop!

ivyk said...

okk i have to go to some of these places... duck beach.. maybe not but williamsburg.. yes... what are your other favorite spots Millie?

ivyk said...

And my bro n sis n law are in philly this summer. perhaps they know an elder segura:)